Van Lierop Park Master Planning
What is Van Lierop Park
In the East Valley area of the City, to the east of Shaw Road and north of Pioneer Avenue are 18 acres of land purchased by the City in 2015. This area is one of the few remaining areas within the City that could be developed into a community park with space to potentially include multiple sports fields.
The City is currently developing a Master Plan for this site to discover what recreational opportunities would best fit the location and the community.
The Master Planning process will establish the programs and layout for Van Lierop Park. The process establishes the framework within which smaller projects (phases) can be designed, funded and constructed. Working with the community and stakeholders, staff and the consultant team MIG-SVR will draft the Puyallup Community’s desired program for the park, establish priority elements and recommend a phasing approach.
Public Participation Welcome in Van Lierop Park Programming Design
The second public Open House was held April 27th and welcomed another great turnout crowd. The public had a chance to view the two design options (shown below) that were created from the feedback received on the project through online surveys, focus groups, and the March Open House.
- May 16, 2017 - Thank you to those who completing the second online survey these past few weeks. The survey is now closed. We will continue on plan design based on feedback received.
- April 28, 2017 - Thank you to all who attended the second Open House on April 27th. Two design options have been created based on feedback we've received. Next steps will be to determine public opinion on the best option and continue with programming decisions for the site.
- April 10, 2017 - Work is underway to develop conceptual plans using input gathered from the public at Open House #1, the online survey, and Council.
- March 9, 2017 - An Open house was held for the public to share their thoughts and vision of the future Van Lierop Park. If you were not able to attend, please share your thoughts with us by taking the online survey through March 26.
- February 27, 2017 - Presentation to Council on status of the project will be included at the February 28th Council Meeting. Open House scheduled for 03/09/2017. Online survey will be opened shortly thereafter to gain additional feedback from the public.
- February 8, 2017 - Focus groups are scheduled for February to gather input from local groups. An Open House date will be set for March and online survey will be added soon.
- January 2017 - Project kickoffs with City staff. Planning underway for public outreach and involvement
- December 2016 - Master Planning Consultant contract approved by Council
- August 2016 - Riverwalk Trail, Phase 6 named the "Ernie Bay Connector"
- June 2016 - Legislative Proviso grant awarded to City for design and construction of Riverwalk Trail, Phase 6
- December 2015 - Van Lierop property purchased by City to hold for future use