Downtown Design Guidelines Update
The 2006 City of Puyallup Downtown Design Guidelines (DDGs) were developed with consultant assistance and have not received an update since its original adoption. After completing design review for proposed projects and working with applicants over the years, the need for an update to the document was identified by the City’s Design Review and Historic Preservation Board (DRHPB) and city staff. As a result, an update project was implemented; work was completed by city planning staff, with consultant assistance from Allied8, and review and input from the DRHPB throughout the process.
The following points were the focus for the update project:
- Improve the format of document
- Improve document navigation for applicants
- Specify what is a “guideline” versus requirement
- Clarify application submittal requirements and design review process
Municipal Code Amendments
Amendments to the Puyallup Municipal Code were also proposed as part of the design guideline update project. The associated text amendments were proposed to PMC Chapter 2.29 - Design Review and Historic Preservation Board and multiple chapters of Title 20 - Zoning Code which were intended to provide consistency for the implementation of the draft guidelines.
- April 17&18, 2019 Public Outreach Events: a walk-in informational opportunity and an open house were held to provide information on the project.
- May 16, 2019 Public Hearing: The Design Review and Historic Preservation Board held a public hearing on the update project on May 16th. The Board unanimously (7-0) recommended approval of the final draft to City Council.
- May 21, 2019 City Council Study Session: Staff and consultants, Allied8, provided an overview presentation to City Council.
- May 22, 2019 Planning Commission Public Hearing: Planning Commission held a public hearing on the proposed municipal code amendments (for Title 20-Zoning Code only) associated with the Downtown Design Guidelines update. The Commission unanimously (5-0) recommended approval of the proposed code amendments, with a slight modification, to City Council. (Note: code amendment text in the related documents reflects the PC recommendation)
- July 9, 2019 City Council Action: City Council passed a resolution adopting the update to the Downtown Design Guidelines; first reading of an ordinance on the implementing code amendments was also passed by Council.
- July 23, 2019 City Council Action: City Council passed second reading of the ordinance for the proposed municipal code text amendments.
Contact the project planner, Kendall Wals; contact information is provided in the right-hand side bar of this page.