Downtown Design Guidelines Update
The current City of Puyallup Downtown Design Guidelines (DDGs) were developed with consultant assistance and adopted by City Council in April, 2006. After completing design review for proposed projects, the need for an update to the document was identified by the City’s Design Review and Historic Preservation Board (DRHPB) and city staff. As a result, an update project has been ongoing; work has been completed by city planning staff, with consultant assistance from Allied 8, and review and input from the DRHPB throughout the process.
The following are the focus points for the update project:
- Improve the format of document
- Improve document navigation for applicants
- Specify what is a “guideline” versus requirement
- Clarify application submittal requirements and design review process
The community is invited to review and provide comments on the final DDG draft document. There are some upcoming meetings (information provided below) on this project as well as multiple ways to provide input.
Municipal Code Amendments
Amendments to the Puyallup Municipal Code are proposed as part of this guideline update project. The associated text amendments are proposed to PMC Chapter 2.29 - Design Review and Historic Preservation Board and multiple chapters of Title 20 - Zoning Code and are intended to provide consistency for the implementation of the draft guidelines. The draft proposed code amendments are provided as a link under the related documents section. In addition, a matrix with a brief description of the code amendments are also provided in the linked documents.
- April 17&18, 2019 Public Outreach Events: a walk-in informational opportunity and an open house were held to provide information on the project.
- May 16, 2019 Public Hearing: The Design Review and Historic Preservation Board held a public hearing on the update project on May 16th. The Board unanimously (7-0) recommended approval of the Final Draft (linked on this page) to City Council.
- May 21, 2019 City Council Study Session: Staff and consultants, Allied8, will provide an overview presentation to City Council.
- May 22, 2019 Planning Commission Public Hearing: Planning Commission held a public hearing on the proposed municipal code amendments (for Title 20-Zoning Code only) associated with the Downtown Design Guidelines update. The Commission unanimously (5-0) recommended approval of the proposed code amendments, with a slight modification, to City Council. (Note: code amendment text in the related documents reflects the PC recommendation)
- July 9, 2019: City Council action on the DDG update and associated code amendments.
- July 23, 2019: City Council second reading of the ordinance for the proposed municipal code text amendments.
- Attend any of the opportunities outlined above and provide written and/or verbal comments.
- Submit comments using the comment box at the bottom of this web page.
- Email comments to City staff.
Contact the project planner, Kendall Wals; contact information provided in the right-hand side bar of this page.