Winter Ready Restaurant & Retail Grant Program
A business may apply for the grant if they meet the following criteria:
- Must be a restaurant or retail store with a physical location within Puyallup city limits. Use this map to check if your Puyallup business address is within or outside of the municipal boundary. Home-based businesses are not eligible.
- Must be independent or locally owned or part of a Washington-based franchise. Non-local franchises are ineligible for this grant.
- Have an active City of Puyallup business license prior to March 1, 2020.
- The business has temporarily closed or dramatically limited operations due to the public health orders related to the COVID-19 public health crisis and resulted in lost revenue.
- Be a for-profit business.
The City will award a one-time grant of up to $5,000 per qualifying business. Depending on the number of qualifying applicants, awards may be made via a lottery for those businesses that meet the eligibility requirements.
What You Can Use the Grant Funds for:
- The applicant must submit a list of planned expenses. Winter Ready Grant Funds can be used to purchase, but are not limited to:
- Tents (rental or purchase)
- Awnings and side panels
- Heaters (rental or purchase)
- Outdoor Furniture
- Interior improvements (low touch design, point of service updates, sneeze barriers, etc.)
- Online Sales (website improvements, e-commerce platform)
- Other items needed to serve additional customers outdoors during restrictions.
What Are You Not Allowed to Use the Grant Funds for:
- Any expenses not considered eligible business expenses by IRS rules.
- Bonuses, wages, or benefits to owners or employees.
- Rent, loan payments, business operations costs, or operating expenses
- Charitable contributions; political contributions, gifts, or parties.
What to expect after the application has been submitted:
Once an application has been submitted, the applicant will receive a confirmation email of their submission. All applications will be reviewed for eligibility. If incorrect, misleading, fraudulent, or incomplete information is submitted on the grant application, the application will be deemed ineligible.
Submitting an application is not a guarantee of a grant award. Grant awardees will be notified by e-mail once awards have been made.
Delivery of Funds:
Grant awardees will be required to fill out a W-9 form and sign a contract with the City of Puyallup by Monday, November 23, 2020. Grant proceeds will be paid directly to the applicant business within 10 business days after receipt of the signed contract and W-9.
If you need assistance accessing or completing the application, please contact Jessica Johnson in the City Manager’s Office at 253-841-5584 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply:
To apply, click here: WINTER READY RESTAURANT & RETAIL GRANT FORM
Applications will be accepted up until 11:59 pm, November 16, 2020. Only complete applications will be considered, and grant awards will be subject to funding availability. Each applicant must agree to be bound by the eligibility requirement and application processes of the grant program.
This project was supported by a grant awarded by the US Department of the Treasury. Points of view in this document are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of the US Department of the Treasury. Grant funds are administered by the Local Government Coronavirus Relief Fund thru the Washington State Department of Commerce