Applying for Permits
View the Permit Performance Dashboard.
2024 ANNUAL BUILDING CODE CHANGE TRAINING.
Please help us plan for this valuable in-State training by supporting our efforts on Monday March 25 and Tuesday March 26th. Building Inspections will be unavailable 25th and 26th of March 2024.
What can you do to help us provide for your service needs?
Please plan for the previous week and anticipated a delay in inspection response for first three days in the week of March 25th 2024.
To submit for permits, please use our https://www.cityofpuyallup.org/2018/cityview Online Permit system, CityView.
We are here to assist you through the permitting process from the initial pre-application meeting to obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy. Our mission is to provide quality communication for all people who seek development permits from the City.
Building Services administers the Washington State Building Codes, including building permit plan review and inspection services. Planning Services oversees the zoning, environmental, and subdivision codes. Engineering Services reviews utility and road improvement permits. Use the quick links to their pages for additional information.
Please follow the steps below to ensure your application is successful.
There are a variety of parcel research tools available to help you. Please visit our page for more information. Some things you'll want to research include:
- General information like zoning, parcel statistics (lot size, generalized property lines), tax information, septic system info, etc.
- Natural environment information like wetlands, streams, potential buffers, etc.
Need assistance with researching parcels? Contact us!
- Online form to submit a question to the Development Center staff.
- Call the Development Services Department at (253) 864-4165. Available between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, excluding holidays.
- Virtual Counter Visits [Launching June 1st]
- Planning and Engineering divisions of DPS are launching a virtual counter visit option for residents who would like a more convenient way of meeting with planning and engineering staff.
Permit Application Forms Grouped by Reviewing Division:
- Development Engineering
- Electrical Permits: The Department of Labor & Industries issues all electrical permits
OR search forms using:
Building, fire construction, mechanical and plumbing permits can be found on the Permit Fees by Category page.
Land-Use permit fees (such as subdivision, boundary line adjustments, conditional-use permits, and other land use permits) and some site development fees (such as clear, fill, and grading permits and sewer connections) can be found in the City of Puyallup Fee Schedule.
Impact fees such as School, Park, and Traffic impact fees may be assessed for certain projects but are calculated on a case-by-case basis.
Pre-applications are an opportunity for a potential applicant to receive feedback from all reviewing divisions (building, fire, planning, and engineering) about their development project proposal prior to submitting an application for a permit. Please see the information below.
- Tier 1: The first step in the pre-application process is a notes only review of the submitted project. After notes have been issued by staff, you may apply for the Tier 2 process.
- Tier 2: If you have questions that would require the collaboration of staff or will be submitting a revised site plan based on staff comment from the Tier 1 pre-application. You must complete Tier 1 prior to applying for Tier 2.
If you have questions regarding the new pre-application meeting process, please reach out to email@example.com.
Need help with one or all of these steps? Visit the Permit Center.
We are located on the 2nd floor of City Hall (333 S Meridian) in downtown Puyallup. Our hours are 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM, Monday through Friday, except on holidays.