Q: Which Stormwater Manual is applicable to development applications within the City of Puyallup?

A: The City of Puyallup has adopted the 2019 SWMMWW.

All development applications submitted on or after July 1, 2022, must comply with the 2019 Stormwater Management Manual for Western Washington (SWMMWW).

Per requirements, in Puyallup’s Phase 2 Municipal Stormwater Permit (effective date August 1, 2019) projects, that have vesting rights per Washington state vesting doctrine*, and were applied for under the 2014 SWMMWW prior to July 1, 2022 that have not **started construction by January 1, 2027, and projects permitted under earlier versions of the SWMMWW that have not **started construction by January 1, 2022, must be revised to comply with the requirements of the 2019 SWMMWW, or subsequent versions as directed by state regulations. Revisions will need to be approved by Development and Permitting Services, or its successor agency prior to construction. 

 **“started construction” means, the site work associated with, and directly related to the approved project is at a stage where rough grading is complete, or utilities are installed. For rough grading to be considered complete, elevations are within 1 foot of final design elevations.

*Applications that do not have vesting ability per Washington State vested right doctrine must have had permit issuance prior to July 1, 2022 (and start construction prior to January 1, 2027) to continue to utilize the 2014 SWMMWW for development.  Vested rights only apply to applications such as building permit, short plat or Major subdivision applications and development agreements.  For more information regarding Washington State vesting rights doctrine, please follow the following link: MRSC Washington State vesting.

Show All Answers

1. Q: Which Stormwater Manual is applicable to development applications within the City of Puyallup?
2. Q: Is my property located within the City of Puyallup?
3. Q: Does the City have an online map system for public use?
4. Q: How much does development within the City of Puyallup cost?
5. Q: What do I need to submit for my permit application?
6. Q: Where can I find city standards and design standards?
7. Q: Does the city have standardized traffic control plans for obstruction of the public right of way?
8. Q: How do I schedule a project inspection?
9. Q: When are frontage improvements required?
10. Q: Can I place fill dirt on my property?
11. Q: When is a clear fill and grade permit required?
12. Q: When is the “wet season” for stormwater testing?
13. Q: Do I need a permit to repair my water or sewer service on private property?
14. Q: Is there any leniency for DOE required “wet season monitoring”?
15. Q: What development is happening in my neighborhood?
16. Q: Can I place a temporary dumpster or shipping containers in front of my house?
17. Q: Do I need a permit to install cement patios or walkways on private property?
18. Q: Do I need a permit to repair my driveway?
19. If you didn’t find the answers you were looking for in the FAQs